Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fifth Posting

Hello everybody! This is my fifth posting and I would like to talk about my experience when we were assigned to take an online test that is Uji ICT for “asas level” and Electronic Malaysian English Competency Test (EMEC) last Monday. For your information, Uji ICT tests our knowledge regarding ICT and EMEC tests our reading and comprehension skills.

This is my first time taking an online test. It is a nice experience as I was thrilled and wondered what the test would look like. First, when the test began and time that allocated for the test started ticking, I quickly read and answered the entire question. As soon as I finished and clicked “end” in just a second my results appeared on the screen. Wow, that was fast! I would say I like online test mostly because it provides immediate feedback to the user unlike conventional test where I have to wait for the results.

Furthermore, I suppose online test benefit lecturers the most. This is because with online test, it can randomize the questions and students will not receive the same questions. Thus, this will avoid cheating cases. Besides, lecturers will not have to mark many answer sheets so this will save time and students will be able to get immediate feedback regarding the results.

Nevertheless, there are few disadvantages about online test make I prefer paper-based test more. Firstly, I do not like the question interface because it only allows us to only look at one question at one time while in paper-based test there a number of questions in one page. Hence, it is difficult to look at each question at one time and this will make us lost interest in checking the answers since we have to click one by one again. Besides, in EMEC test, the questions and reading passages are at different tab and it is bothersome to look at both places. In addition, since the passage is on the screen, I cannot scribble as I normally do in paper-based exam to search and mark at the points. Another thing is, in Uji ICT it is quite difficult to understand the questions because it is in Malay language since I learned computer terms in English. For example, "enjin gelintar" and "santak" are among of the terms used in the test and in order to answer the questions I need to guess what are the meaning of those words.

Overall, in my opinion, it can be said that online test have advantages and disadvantages that cannot be avoided. However, this situation can be improved from time to time. Below I include my Uji ICT and EMEC test results.

Online Quiz Results :: Kemahiran Asas ICT
Your #Attempts : 1
Total Class #Attempts : 564
Your Quiz Score : 23/30
Your Highest Score Ever :23

Electronic Malaysian English Competency Test - Reading Test (Set 1)
Score: 25 out of 35 - 71%
Time Taken: 36m 30s

No comments: